Overview of course:
Computing in the department and getting set up:
- Pete Dotson, CSR: Introduction to departmental computing resources and policies
- Statistics Computing Resources. Login and try again if you get "Access Denied".
- Introduction to rencher.byu.edu
- Text-based login (ssh)
- Linux distributions have a builtin ssh client.
- Mac OS X has a builtin ssh client.
- Windows ssh client: PuTTY.
- File transfer (scp)
- Linux distributions have a builtin scp client.
- Mac OS X has a built in scp client.
- Windows file transfer using WinSCP.
- Enter your account on rencher and change password
- ssh email@example.com
- Enter temporary password
- Change password: enter passwd then follow prompts to enter in old and input new password.
Introduction to vi.
Basic UNIX commands: cd; ls; mkdir; rm; rm -r; cp; vi; mv; scp
Setting up account for git access. Use the following terminal commands and just press enter when given any options:
- cat ~/.ssh/id_rsa.pub
Email the output starting from ssh-rsa and ending with net.id
Clone your personal git repository
- git clone firstname.lastname@example.org:your.netid
Read-only STAT 624 general git repository:
- Clone command: git clone email@example.com:general624
: A free and open source distributed version control system designed to handle everything from small to very large projects with speed and efficiency.
- git pull
- git add filename or git add .
- git commit -m "message"
- git push
Note: Check git status before each step while you are getting used to it.